March 04, 2008


Preparation

While several family members and close friends are busy preparing their nurseries, I’ve been busy preparing my sewing area. Perhaps the recent frogging of a pair of socks and beret are to blame for my lack of knitting mojo. That, coupled with four babies just around the corner, and I don’t know if I have it in me to knit fast enough! I’ve been eager to get better acquainted with my sewing machine – the time is now!


I’ve decided to make eight Simple Bibs from Amy Karol’s book, “Bend-The-Rules Sewing”. There are some inspiring patterns in this book, and it isn’t intimidating. I’ve selected some fabrics that I hope will match the personalities of the mothers and fathers to-be.

Tonight I am taking my first sewing lesson. The tips acquired from hands-on learning are so valuable to me. I’ve never had much interest in making quilts, but my first project is a lap quilt and I’m very excited. I’ve selected three fabrics for the project, two of which are batiks.
Though I’ve been a professional graphic designer for many years, selecting fabrics is a whole new world. Colors, patterns and textures that I once thought would compliment each other suddenly don’t, and vise versa. It is fascinating!

1 comment:

Devonshire said...

Great fabric choices. Hope your class goes well. How cute are those bib fabrics.